Unwrapping procedure...

Unwrapping procedure...

Postby Graphix72 » 24 Nov 2011 15:36

I watched the tutorial for 3DS Max (I couldn't find a Maya tutorial), and I tried Unwrella in Maya on a few models. From what I figured out (and correct me if I'm wrong), the procedure for unwrapping is as follows:

1. Select all edges and Edit UVs > Sew UV Edges to get rid of unwanted border seams.
2. Select the edges that you want to be the seams, and Edit UVs > Cut UV Edges to mark them as seams for Unwrella to use in unwrapping.
3. In Unwrella, make sure to have "Keep Borders" checked.
4. Click "Apply" and pray to God!

The funny thing is, sometimes the resulting unwrap is very good except for an unexplainable distortion someplace. I unwrapped a simple object which is like a cube with rounded corners:
Model1.jpg
Mesh
Model1.jpg (58.09 KiB) Viewed 12897 times

And I got this as my UVs. Notice the distortion in one part of the unwrap. How can you explain this?
UVs1.jpg
Unwrap
UVs1.jpg (65.73 KiB) Viewed 12897 times

Am I doing something wrong? How do I get rid of that ugly distortion?
Graphix72

Re: Unwrapping procedure...

Postby Igor Posavec » 24 Nov 2011 15:55

Hello User,

can you please tell me which version are you using. And also is it a commercial registered version?
thanks a lot in advance!

best regards
--
igor posavec
CEO, 3d-io games & video production GmbH
igor@3d-io.com
Igor Posavec
3d-io staff member

Postby Graphix72 » 24 Nov 2011 16:27

Hi,

I'm very new to Unwrella, I just found out about it this week. I am running the trial version right now, to see if I want to buy the full version. The one I have is Unwrella 2 for Maya 2011, 64 bit.

If Unwrella works well and I can present it to my department, we will get about 10 licenses. But first I have to show them that it works well, because some guys suggest the freeware called RoadKill by Pullin Shapes. So I have to show them that Unwrella is better.

We use Maya 2011 in my department, but soon we will get Maya 2012. Is there a difference in the unwrapping algorithm? There shouldn't be... so what could be causing the distortion?
Graphix72

Postby Igor Posavec » 24 Nov 2011 17:13

Hello Heribert,

thank you very much for your feedback.

1 Thing at the start - Unwrella is automatic seam-creation, unwrapping and uv-packing application. RoadKill is it not.

In free Roadkill you have to place your seams by hand, cut and reorder. The packing is resulting half good results, as soon as you have many tiles or uv parts, you can likely get unoptimized space usage.

Unwrella automatically setup seams, unwraps and packs proportionally the uv-parts. 10, 100 or 10000 of them, it doesn't matter. They are all packed in absolute order while keeping the size and proportion aspects. You can read the exact definitions on the homepage. It is designed mainly and basically for mass productions of unwrapped 3d contents or texture baking. Since the UV Parts are scaled to each other there are no visible seams on the baked geometries or normal maps on the final baked map.

Here some guidelines for "newbies" when it comes to the UV unwrapp/pack solutions.

You should use RoadKill if you:
- If you are doing hand painted models, or if you want to have full control of your seams, rotate chunks or scape and position them manually
- If you have single organic geometries, like a head or face and you want to "pelt" them with your own seams and stretch parameters.
- if you don't care if there is unproportional aspect ratio or different pixel scale on the different parts of the model
- in other words - if you are an artists and want to touch by hand each detail of your model and repaint it. You need to sit down, import your 3d soldier consisting of 46 parts and cut each of them apart, draw seams, let unwrapp, put together etc. It can take hours or more, yet you did it yourself by hand, as you think it should be.

You should use Unwrella if you:
- have a mass production facilities where you create dozens or hundreds geometries that need to be unwrapped automatically (in game production stones, barrels, trees etc)
- have geometries where there is a crazy amount of time to unwrap them (trees, strange insects, monsters, tentacles etc). For example, unwrapping a human scull is a task 99% or artists fail or spend hours for it.
- if you are working as texture baker: for texture baking is Uwrella best choice since you get with one click the UVMap where you project your high-res geometry. It makes almost no sense to unwrap projection geometries by hand, since it causes many scale errors. Typical example are Unwrella unwraps for baking from Zbrush or MudBox like some of our studios and customers do:
- for generic creation of UVs for masses of objects for procedural textures, projections etc (for example, we have customers in tech industry unwrapping models of planes of electric plants where all parts are covered with similar metal or concrete tile texture - with one click they can cover hundreds of objects with a bitmap and it will have equal sizes overall on the object.)

Please consider this list - if you and your guys are rather manual workers and affiliated artists, then unwrella makes only in few cases sense for you to speed up the work: you should use other tools for your art.
If you are into serious mass production (if you have lot to do and it depends on money and time), texture baking, game dev etc, then Unwrella can save you time and time is what you can not buy or compensate with manual work.

Hope this helps for the start :)
(Best combination is as always - a mixed solutions, since both software cover a different parts of the workflow)

If you have any questions or need more information, please feel free to contact us anytime

thanks
best regards
--
igor posavec
igor@3d-io.com
Igor Posavec
3d-io staff member

Postby Graphix72 » 24 Nov 2011 19:34

Thank you Igor, for your excellent and detailed answer!

One thing I still want to ask is why in my UVs there is the distortion, as you can see in the image attached to my original question. Surely this cannot be correct, because the stretching is quite bad. Do you know why Unwrella unwrapped the mesh with that mistake?

Thanks again for your help!
UVs1.jpg
UVs1.jpg (65.73 KiB) Viewed 12888 times
Graphix72

Postby Igor Posavec » 24 Nov 2011 20:04

Hello user,

tolerance. You have setup in the setting "Texture Stretch" a value x (let say 0,15 or 15%). Your UV unwrapped texture is is now stretch free, but the algorithm has decided to apply this "trash" of 15% stretch somewhere, since the object has a certain roundness and can not be mathematically stretch-free.
Unfortunately for the model and your seams setup, it just poped up on this corner. Normally it is either rendered over the whole surface (it adds 15% gradually overall) but this time it got confused. If you would have put your seam an edge-row lower or higher, or changed the stretch-factor, it would not have happen. It is a coincidence, i have seen such effect few times in the past.

thanks
best regards
--
igor posavec
igor@3d-io.com
Igor Posavec
3d-io staff member

Postby Graphix72 » 24 Nov 2011 22:17

Thank you, that explains that problem. I will experiment and get a feel for Unwrella, to understand it better. I think it is a very useful software, I just need to understand better how it works. :)
Graphix72

Return to Unwrella For Maya