[RESOLVED] Getting "[CRITICAL]: Unwrapping not possible"...

[RESOLVED] Getting "[CRITICAL]: Unwrapping not possible"...

Postby Thirsk » 02 Mar 2011 13:12

I am using the trial of Unwrella 2.1 for Maya 2011 x64 to evaluate its suitability for creating lightmaps. For the majority of my scene is seems extremely good; however on several objects I am getting a popup with the following error:

Code: Select all
[CRITICAL]: Unwrapping not possible. Try increasing the maximum number of charts, the allowed stretch or the texture size.
(D3DXERR_INVALIDDATA)

To pick a a representative mesh from my scene that is giving this error, I'll focus on the surrounding buildings (attached in obj format). They are contained in a single mesh object of 25,044 tris (spread across 1113 geometry shells if separated). The mesh is a little messy, but works just fine in the game engine. I have tried running the 'cleanup' function in Maya to no effect, so I believe that mesh messiness is not an issue.

To attempt to fix this problem, I have tried increasing the texture resolution to 8192x8192, reducing the gutter padding to 1, enabling (or disabling) High Quality, and generally pressing random buttons. The only thing that seems to actually allow the unwrap to complete is increasing 'stretch' to 1.0—but this gives very undesirable results to the point of non-usability.

What I would very much like to try doing is increasing the number of allowed charts, as this seems the most likely source of the error. Unfortunately, the Unwrella interface in 2011 does not mention charts, so I am unsure how to do this.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
buildings.zip
obj file of the buildings which give the error.
(470.88 KiB) Downloaded 586 times
Thirsk

Re: Getting "[CRITICAL]: Unwrapping not possible"...

Postby Igor Posavec » 21 Jun 2011 09:20

Hello

Unwrella works perfect, one mouse click and it was unwrapped.

thanks
best regards
--
igor posavec
CEO, 3d-io games & video production GmbH
igor@3d-io.com
Igor Posavec
3d-io staff member

Return to Unwrella For Maya