[Feature Request] Seams questions

[Feature Request] Seams questions

Postby 1k0 » 01 Aug 2012 17:39

Hi,
I donwloaded the trial version of Unwrella because as everybody I'm sick of getting seams in my textures and I don't like to waste time hidding them.

May you help me understand some thins about you plugin:

1/ Why does the plugin add seams as I asked it to preserve seams?
2/ Even with a low Texture Stretch value (0.05) I got some bad stretched area (under left eye), how can I avoid this ?
3/ Not really problematic but why the UV preview display show me triangles?

Hope to hear from you soon.

Edit: I use 3dsmax 2012
Attachments
TMP_unwrella_01.jpg
TMP_unwrella_01.jpg (853.44 KiB) Viewed 16933 times
Portfolio: http://www.moonday.fr/
Geekfolio: http://1k0.blogspot.fr/
1k0

Re: Seams questions

Postby Igor Posavec » 02 Aug 2012 15:15

hello 123

thank you for your inquiry.
I see at the moment 2 problems on the specific screenshot, and one problem that deals with the technology.

As first, although you have the green seams, it has been ignored on your model. I don't know how it happens. Can you please check the step-by-step video material we have prepared for Seams<->Unwrella Unwrapping workflow, in order to see if you have maybe missed one step or a checkbox? Since the result i see on your screenshot should not happen ever.
You can find tutorial video at:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKdrColmPPk&feature=plcp

Second: Unwrella in the current version can not leave open holes in the mesh. It automatically draws a seam from the edge to the hole. This explains why you get blue seam lines toward the eyes and the whole chaos around it.

Third: the stretch factor. From a certain degree, Unwrella can not stretch the surface anymore to preserve the desired stretch factor and it must break it in order to preserve the uniform pixel sizes over the geometry (logically). I think the only way is to set "1" in stretch, in order to unwrap it with brute force.
From all geometry forms, Unwrella can deal at worst with one - with the human heads. They must be stretched, because they have hose, ears, eyes, holes and dents etc - they have the maximum scale of un-regularity. Therefore is unwrella, as described on the homepage, a tool for rapid automatic unwrapping, with preserving the aspect ratio, for texture baking or mass production. Unwrella is mainly used in the industry and mass object batching where it is not important how "nice" the unwrapp looks like while it will get baked GI, Lightmaps or NormalMaps.
Dealing with the most difficult geometry on the world, with the human head, and expecting one-click solution that unwrap a head in an artistic way is unfortunately not doable in current version Unwrella. :(
We are working on the new algorithm that will be able to allow more stretching while preserving a full form of the head - something like RoadKill or Zbrush. It will be not anymore as precise as current form, but it will allow to have a nice unwrapped result.

Basically, you should get much better result with current Unwrella version that what I see at the moment (it seems something went wrong), yet you will still have cuts to the open holes.

hope this helps at the moment!
Thanks
best regards
--
igor posavec
CEO, 3d-io games & video production GmbH
igor@3d-io.com
Igor Posavec
3d-io staff member

Postby 1k0 » 02 Aug 2012 18:19

Thanks Igor for your quick and complete answer,

I checked my model twice but only the inner mouth area is open edges :-S
The step by step video tutorial showed me the "target channel" and "preserve seams" from channel 1 I didn't make at first (I only put 1 channel) but unfortunately there is no differences.
Anyway I understand that the human face will maybe need to be unwrapped using 3ds max pelt map options to allow artist not using a 3D paint program to paint textures directly in 2D programs as it's a very complex and important part of the mesh.
About the stretch I was just worried about some minor areas, when I started to paint my model in Mudbox or Zbrush some strokes went totally wrong on little areas of the mesh, I didn't really care about chaotic seams in the face as I couldn't see seams ;)
Finally I found a solution not related to Unwrella but I'll definitely purchase a license for my coming projects!
Portfolio: http://www.moonday.fr/
Geekfolio: http://1k0.blogspot.fr/
1k0

Postby Igor Posavec » 02 Aug 2012 20:13

Hello!
hey, thanks for the feedback!
I am really sorry you have picked the most difficult objects for Unwrella - but i am sure once you play a bit with unwrella, you will get at the rest of the scene a huge speed-up in unwrapping. Luckily, in CG the heads are only 1% of the whole scene composition that needs to be done, and there it is ok to invest some time and pelt it by hand :)

thanks
best regards
--
igor posavec
igor@3d-io.com
Igor Posavec
3d-io staff member

Postby dpolcino » 09 Aug 2012 10:05

Correct me if I'm wrong (just bought unwrella so am not an expert) but it seems in this head example, Unwrella is still quite useful. I would apply it, then add another UVWunwrap above it and tweak some of that stretching by hand. This would still save me some time and result in a nice map. Is this correct?
dpolcino

Postby Igor Posavec » 09 Aug 2012 19:15

Hello user,

yes, definitely. This is not the problem.The explicit problem was the very irregular surface with open holes in it, where algorithm can not achieve optimal stretch free results with just 1-2 seam lines.
For the reason of privacy i can not public names, but there is almost no middle- and large game studio that does not have at least a license of unwrella. The unwrella is the only unwrapper on the market that automatically set seams based on topology and pack the parts in proportional pixel-uniform way. Since the computer decides where to put them in order to achieve best results (in most cases), the seam may appear "not nice" to the artists mind.
Yet for that reason we did not create the software.
The logic behind is quite pragmatical: the studio managers asked us in the beginning how to create automatically UV Maps, that are not stretched, in a mass production. If you have 10 artists unwrapping 10.000 stones, barrels, ground areas and armors for the game characters, which are anyway later mapped with generic tiled textures, or they are baked from high-poly, then there is no reason to pay thousands of hours to paint nice seams.
Typical example is actually the set production - how many heads are in a game? and how many other geometries that may be fast unwrapped for baking? 1:999? You can simply put extra time in nice head-pelting and use unwrella on 99% other objects in order to finish them all in few minutes - for € 150 you can't buy a lot of artists to unwrap for days for you - but you can buy time to concentrate on some other 3d aspects instead of turning each stone, sword and boot in the UVWUNwrapped with Pelt method.

On the other side of game development, we have Siemens engineers doing unwrapping of millions of screws, wheels etc., artists like Rune Spaans doing their trolls and sheep, military companies unwrapping en mass whole simulation level objects... looking at the customer base, there are even some studios which use Unwrella for the things it was actually not designed for :)

I repeat therefore that there are exceptions which create un-nice seams, like heads, or some other exceptions. We have from thousands of objects sometimes geometries that can't be unwrapped with the method at all (ZBrush UVMaster has the same problems and limitations). Those must be done by hand, that's the life.
This is but a limitation of the current version, we work hard since months to create a new adaptive solution also for this, even if cause more visible stretch (which proves very time consuming).

if you have questions or need more information, please feel free to contact us anytime
thanks
best regards
--
igor posavec
igor@3d-io.com
Igor Posavec
3d-io staff member

Re:Seams questions

Postby mkassim » 17 Nov 2014 23:56

Hello,

I'm trying this tool and ruining into a deal breaker haha. After selecting my seams using the Seam helper plug in. I set all my perimeters in the Unwrella modifier, and hit Unwrap a UV preview, Display Gamma window pops up, with no path to the uv editor. and their is a bracket reading (UV not saved) in my Unwrap button.
mkassim

Re: [Feature Request] Seams questions

Postby Igor Posavec » 05 Jan 2015 14:53

Hello mkasisn

I would like to help you but i am afraid i did not understand what you have asked. Can you please reformulate your question, maybe with an example?
thanks!
best regards
--
igor posavec
igor@3d-io.com
Igor Posavec
3d-io staff member

Return to Unwrella