Rescale UV charts doesn't work?

Rescale UV charts doesn't work?

Postby Linkitch » 05 Jul 2011 09:36

I'm running the 1.11 trial version, and so far I'm very pleased with the program, but I do seem to have a bit of a problem.

There is a checkbox named "Rescale UV Charts"
When I uncheck that, it doesn't actually seem to affect anything when I begin packing.
I tried knowingly making my UV charts bigger before applying the UV packer, and it just flat out ignores that it's not supposed to rescale.
Linkitch

Re: Rescale UV charts doesn't work?

Postby Igor Posavec » 05 Jul 2011 09:53

they work perfect with the trial and commercial version from our server. It seams you did not understand what it does. I will try to explain it in short, in the help file you can find more detailed explanation.

If you have unwrapped your object by hand, and rescaled the uv charts manually (for example, the head 10times bigger chart as the rest of the body, i don't know, to have the texture of the head sharper) and you pack it with UVPacker you get 2 results:

- Rescaled: the head will be rescaled back to the proportions of the body and packed proportionally together with the rest
- Rescaled OFF: everything will be packed WITHOUT rescaling the head UV-Charts. The Head UV will be huge and the rest small on the final packed map.

thanks
best regards
--
igor posavec
CEO, 3d-io games & video production GmbH
igor@3d-io.com
Igor Posavec
3d-io staff member

Postby Linkitch » 05 Jul 2011 10:04

Okay, so it basically Normalizes the entire unwrap. Might I suggest you rename it to that ?

I would find it very practical if you could disable rescaling.
Like if I know what kind of pixel density I want for a complex object, but I don't know how many textures I would need to make that happen. I could just make it the density I want and then apply the UV packer and have it pack it as close as possible, but still going outside the confines of the UV area. Then I could go in afterwards and select different regions and split it up accordingly.
Linkitch

Postby Igor Posavec » 05 Jul 2011 10:45

Hello Linkitch,

thanks for the feedback.

- "I would find it very practical if you could disable rescaling."
There is a check box - you simply turn it off.

- "Like if I know what kind of pixel density I want for a complex object, but I don't know how many textures I would need to make that happen. I could just make it the density I want and then apply the UV packer and have it pack it as close as possible, but still going outside the confines of the UV area. Then I could go in afterwards and select different regions and split it up accordingly."
I broke my brain trying to understand this 3 sentences. I give up. Can you please describe me, like to a 5 year child, what would you like to have :) Or on some plastic example. I am sure i could then jump in and help you :)

thanks!
best regards
--
igor posavec
igor@3d-io.com
Igor Posavec
3d-io staff member

Postby Linkitch » 05 Jul 2011 12:15

Okay, in 3DsMax in the normal unwrapper there is a option called Pack UVs. It has this checkbox:

Basically what that does is this. Before using Pack UVs:

After using Pack UVs, checkbox turned OFF.

As you can see, it leaves the UV charts in their original size, this is the feature I would really like to see.
It should also work the other way, if they are too big to fit inside the UV area, they should just stack up outside. Like this:
Linkitch

Postby Igor Posavec » 05 Jul 2011 12:50

hello Linkitch,

thank you for your explanations.

I seems i still have absolutely no idea what you want. Let me describe you what i understand from your post:

- you use UVW Unwrapp in max to unwrap and pack your textures
- then you do something with "normalize" (on and off) and get finally a desired ugly packed bunch of faces in a lower left corner (what max unluckily always do due to the inferior calculations)
- i have no chance to check on the screenshot if the faces are proportionally scaled to each other, yet since unwrella, flatiron and uvpacker are the only software on the market that does it for 3dsmax, i assume the faces are near to similar or exact proportions
- then you want to blow up this ugly packed bunch of faces to "over-screen", outside the boundaries of the standard 1:1 3dsmax UVSpace.

So far it makes no sense to me. Why would anyone uses this procedure in a serious production? And what does 3dsmax Unwrap UVW to do with UV-Packer in this context?

UV-Packer does exactly what you have complicatedly put together on the screens below - it grabs all faces, scale them (or not depending on the status of the check box you press) to proportional sizes and arrange them on the UV Panel so they optimally fill out the UV space. It does exactly what you illustrated below with 3dsmax Unwarpp modifier :)

thanks
best regards
--
igor posavec
igor@3d-io.com
Igor Posavec
3d-io staff member

Postby Linkitch » 05 Jul 2011 13:42

I have a hard time elaborating even further. I basically want the same functionality from the default Pack UVs option inside of Max, to also be present in your software.

The 3dsmax manual says this:

Normalize Clusters
Controls whether the final layout will be scaled down to 1.0 unit to fit within the standard editor mapping area. If this is turned off, the final size of the clusters will be in object space, and they'll probably be much larger than the editor mapping area. For best results, leave this turned on.

As to why I would like a feature like that, I could try to explain it but it would probably just confuse more than it would help. But trust me, it is very useful when you are working with lightmaps in a game engine.
Linkitch

Postby Igor Posavec » 05 Jul 2011 14:01

hello Linkitch,

aaaahhh... ok. i start slowly to understand what you want.

No, there is no such function in UVPacker. There is no need for it, just open max-script recorder and record following steps:
1) put Unwrap UVW on your object
2) pack your uvs (or whatever you like to do with normalize)
3) select all faces
4) scale them by xy factor (as you like)

stop recorder and save your maxscript. Make button of it, put it on the tab-bar in max and you have the function. If you can do some fancy buttons in max-script you can even have your own UI with own settings, it is easy :)

thanks
best regards
--
igor posavec
igor@3d-io.com
Igor Posavec
3d-io staff member

Return to UV-Packer