[RESOLVED] Packed, Now what?

[RESOLVED] Packed, Now what?

Postby caddguy » 08 Oct 2010 15:06

Using the UVpacker utility is pretty straight forward. My question is how do I easily figure out which polys are what in the image map saved out? I have a Victorian house that I have to texture each part of each wall facade and when selecting the polys that make up the clapboards and UVing them there are too many to know what I need to paint after packing them? Is there another tool you sell that would be better suited for this sort of thing?
Thanks!
caddguy

Re: Packed, Now what?

Postby Igor Posavec » 11 Oct 2010 10:59

hello cadguy,

let me understand you feature request first, since it is a very new to me:
- you have your scene with the UV carts and you want to pack them. You press Pack in UvPacker and UVPacker presents you, after packing, graphicaly where each UV-Chunk is on the gemetry. In the viewport.

or

- you have your scene with the UV carts and you want to pack them. You press Pack in UvPacker and UVPacker presents you, after packing, an UVMap where you can see-through your architecture or what-ever.

For the first case i have no idea how it could work. Maybe to write some random procedural numbers on the map so they are visible on the object, or color like geo-maps, each chunk in some different color. If you have some precise idea what you would like to have, please write it down for us so we can program it.

The second case is simple - after packing with UVPacker, put UVWUnwrapp over it, in the stack, press in it "Edit" and under file/render uv select Shaded or normal and you will get your object rendered in the UV map. As such you can save it and paint on it.

hope this helps :)
thanks
best regards
--
igor posavec
CEO, 3d-io games & video production GmbH
igor@3d-io.com
Igor Posavec
3d-io staff member

Postby caddguy » 11 Oct 2010 13:56

Igor the second example is the procedure I was following by putting the native unwrap UVW modifier on top of the UV-Packer command. The problem is that the map that popped up after running UV-Packer does not match the mapping showing up in the native Unwrap UVW modifer window when going into edit mode!
Thanks for your help!
Attachments
screen1.JPG
UV-Packer applied
screen1.JPG (229.85 KiB) Viewed 46874 times
screen2.JPG
UV-Packer applied then a unwrap UVW modifier applied on top of it in edit mode
screen2.JPG (344.27 KiB) Viewed 46874 times
caddguy

Postby Igor Posavec » 12 Oct 2010 09:03

hallo caddy,

the representation of UVs is terrible. I can't see it correct from here, but already the checker texture on the object is stretched in wrong way.
Can you please attach your scene, i think i see there double faces and degenerated vertices, it is a good test case
thanks in advance!
--
igor posavec
igor@3d-io.com
Igor Posavec
3d-io staff member

Postby karkijoukkue » 23 Nov 2010 10:03

Have you resolved this issue?

We have the same problem and without a fix the UV-Packer seems to be unusable.
karkijoukkue

Postby Igor Posavec » 23 Nov 2010 13:57

this image (max-scene) from this guy was never sent to us for inspection. Therefore we classified it as user-error (looks as there are bunch of double faces and trash already in the base model).

It would help us a lot if we could get the max-example on info@3d-plugin.com for the analysis. It is important for us to see what is wrong in the model (or in your workflow) in order to show the solution. I would be very surprised if it is an error in UVPacker, since it works since years very straight forward.

thanks in advance
--
igor posavec
igor@3d-io.com
Igor Posavec
3d-io staff member

Postby Igor Posavec » 26 Sep 2014 15:06

we have analyzed the data, the max scene is corrupted. the vertex numbers of the object are wrong, no idea how this geometry was misused, but it is not usable for serious work.
Please reexport it as oBJ of fix in any way, then it will work as expected :)

thanks
best regards
--
igor posavec
igor@3d-io.com
Igor Posavec
3d-io staff member

Return to UV-Packer