Problems with VRay hdri

Problems with VRay hdri

Postby JDorian » 22 Apr 2013 11:19

Hi Igor e hi everybody,
I'm trying the free version of flatiron and seems to work so fine for me, but when I use the hdri images I don't still found the correct settings despite I've done much testing.
Currently I've created a simple scene with a ground plane and a hemisphere, lighted only with a Vray Dome Light where I've loaded a hdri file in texture slot.
I've tried also one versione with Vray dome light e Vray sun of the same scene.
Now I'd like to know if there are a particular settings to follow for hdri image, 'cause I've not found anything about this, for the moment.
I finish by saying I read the FAQ and the forum topics, seen all tutorials.
Thanks so much for any help. :D
JDorian

Re: Problems with VRay hdri

Postby Igor Posavec » 27 Apr 2013 16:09

hello user

thank you for your inquiry.
can you please define better how the problem manifest. I can't see where is the problem according to the email description "hdri does not work correct". A scene, screenshot etc are appreciated!
thanks
best regards
--
igor posavec
CEO, 3d-io games & video production GmbH
igor@3d-io.com
Igor Posavec
3d-io staff member

Postby JDorian » 27 Apr 2013 21:06

Hi Igor and thanks for your interest.
Below there's the testing scene, enlighted only with Vray Dome Light and HDRI file loaded in texture slot. In left side, the original VRAY rendering while, in right side, the rendering with Default Scanline Renderer after the baking process with Flation (evaluation version).

Flatiron TEST (00) A.jpg
Flatiron TEST (00) A.jpg (413.44 KiB) Viewed 5995 times

Here is my settings:

3ds max setting:
Lut correction: disabled
Camera view: perspective

Vray settings:
Vray Frame buffer: disabled
Vray GI - Primary bounces: Irradiance map
Vray GI - Secondary bounces: Brute force
Color Mapping
Linear Multiply: selected
Dark multipler 1,0
Bright multipler1,0
Gamma 1,0
Affect background: Flagged
Linear workflow: Flagged

Flation settings
Mode: Hard Surface
Target channel: 6

Baked Settings
Baked map files: Saved in tiff format 16 bit color
Single pass baking: unflagged

Bake element:
VRay Complete Map

Material settings
Standard Material
Diffuse color

Make self-illuminating: flagged
Add shell: selected

Shell switcher
Baked and baked

Shell resolver
Keep source: selected

Bake element settings
Apply color settings: unflagged

The result is far away from the original, so I decide to load the VRAYHDRI in the Hemisphere's Reflection map (only 4%) of the baked material and the result is the following.

Flatiron TEST (00) B.jpg
Flatiron TEST (00) B.jpg (428.33 KiB) Viewed 5995 times

I've tried the same thing also in the ground plane but despite the percentual amount was much lower, the result was unsatisfactory, and doesn't correspond at the original render.
Finally, I also tried another method before but I'd rather hear your opinion not to abuse your patience. :oops:

Is this the right way to go, or do I have completely change the baked process?

Thanks so much, and if you want I can share the scene.
Best regards
JDorian

Postby Igor Posavec » 02 May 2013 16:31

Hello user,

from what i can see, you try to bake reflections. Since it is not possible (this is not a problem of flatiron) you get different results then the vray renderer.

Baking reflection is not possible in any software: how it should work? During baking camera flies around object and scans it. Which angle of reflection should be baked? Camera normal vector? If yes, imagine how silly it would look in the animation - you move around the object and the reflection is frozen on the ground. The same is for any other angle. Please turn off the reflections during baking (use just speculars). In the relatime 3d engine you must add reflection shader in order to get decent and convincing reflections that moves correct to camera :)

thanks
best regards
--
igor posavec
CEO, 3d-io games & video production GmbH
igor@3d-io.com
Igor Posavec
3d-io staff member

Postby JDorian » 04 May 2013 21:18

Hi Igor and thank so much for your support.
As you've see, I'm trying some artificial expedient, to recreate the original scene saving possibly the render time of any frame. Sadly, I knew that baking reflection actually is not possible in any software (but I'd hoped in any kind of magic in Flatiron :mrgreen: ), but I also know that moving the camera in a short range the angle of reflection could be negligible. Especially I refer to fly-through animations used in architectural visualization, when the camera moves laterally to show the building. Unfortunately, I need to hdri images to give more realism at the scene. At the other side, I'd like saving more time in renders.
So, which method do you think is more appropriate for about this, with Flatiron?

Excuse me if I've talked a long of this issue but, how I've could seen in these months when I was confronted with other people, it'll be useful for anyone like me trying in texture baking the solution for optimize the arch-viz workflow.

Thank very much.
All my respect and my gratitude. ;)

Best regards
JDorian

Postby the_papy » 21 Apr 2016 22:32

Baking reflection is not possible in any software: how it should work? During baking camera flies around object and scans it. Which angle of reflection should be baked? Camera normal vector? If yes, imagine how silly it would look in the animation - you move around the object and the reflection is frozen on the ground. The same is for any other angle. Please turn off the reflections during baking (use just speculars). In the relatime 3d engine you must add reflection shader in order to get decent and convincing reflections that moves correct to camera :)

Please turn off the reflections during baking (use just speculars)

:-( , hello, i want on my hotel 3d for x-plane use reflexion hdri on the windows ,
i dont find any solution , my bake for the windows hotel its always black ,
plz small video how to config or execute " specular "
the_papy

Return to Flatiron