VRAY Workflow & Vray Renderer Limitations

VRAY Workflow & Vray Renderer Limitations

Postby Igor Posavec » 21 Feb 2012 11:19

Concerning the fact that Vray has at the moment few unsolved issues with texture baking, here is a short list of tips how to avoid most notorious errors in texture baking:

- VrayLightCache & Gamma Problem: Make sure that you are not using the V-Ray Virtual Frame Buffer with color and gamma post processing. These effects don’t work with texture baking (or you are an expert and know exactly how to setup and output image override Gamma to get gamma-influenced textures. According to to our e-mail support list, 99% of artists have no idea how gamma works and how to it setup in order to get optimal results).
Also make sure that you are not using the light cache. Light cache works great in camera view but results sub-optimal texture baking results. You should instead switch to irradiance map or brute force for global illumination.

- VrayPhysical Camera: [EDIT - this point may be working, see below for users review] Avoid VRayPhysical Camera for texture baking. It is ignored in 3dsmax for any kind or render-to-texture operation. 3dsmax switch automatically to the build-in standard camera in order to scann and bake the textures - all post-effect tuning settings and toys in VrayPhysicalCamera are in that moment irrelevant.

- Vray AmbientOcclusion [EDIT - this point may be working, see below for users review] CheckBox: Turn off the AmbientOcclusion in the render dialog. This function make mess during single pass texture baking. Vlado and the VrayTeam are working on a new solution for it. Until then, use either multi-pass baking in FlatIron or turn it off and bake the AmbientOcclusion with VRay Dirt Shader or simply with MentalRay

- Vray Black Render: Check your selected bake element. Not all bake elements are compatible with all renderer. For example V-Ray does not support the default render elements which are used in the Scanline and mental ray renderer. Instead of it, V-Ray brings its own render elements. Just pick those instead of the default render materials when you use V-Ray. Using a V-Ray element with another renderer will fail accordingly.

If you find few more interesting things about Vray texture baking, please notify me so i can add it to the list here :)
thanks!
best regards
--
igor posavec
CEO, 3d-io games & video production GmbH
igor@3d-io.com
Igor Posavec
3d-io staff member

Re: VRAY Workflow & Vray Renderer Limitations

Postby vistral » 12 Jun 2012 17:35

hiii igor!

-well regarding the "Vray AmbientOcclusion check box" i found my way with vray to attach all elements together to one object and then bake em with AO in vray and without the singlepass rendering.
i gotta send 3 objects one after another with networkrendering, but it works.

-im allways using the vraycam and it gives me the same look like in normal vraycam perspektive rendering.
im using the colormapping checkbox in flatiron (after selecting vraycompletemap) and safe the file to exr.
a gamma correction in fusion from 1.0 to 2.2 and it looks like it should look, this postprocessing gives me enough flexibility to get the look that i want.

-oh i called u some time ago about super serious crash when trying network rendering.. that #+$%§$& 3dsmax crashed billion times when i clicked something in flatiron... well the miracle was trying the same with 3dsmax 2013.. no crashes no problems, networkrendering works like a charm now .

hehe i think vray is a lil crazy sometimes with flatiron but its working right now, just miss the elements a lot :)

best regards, daniel
vistral

Postby Igor Posavec » 14 Jun 2012 13:13

Hi Daniel,

excellent tips! I will change the vraycam entry right now :)
write here every time you have more!

thanks
best regards
--
igor posavec
CEO, 3d-io games & video production GmbH
igor@3d-io.com
Igor Posavec
3d-io staff member

Postby vistral » 19 Jun 2012 09:15

of course i will ;)

well i finished my 12 x 3DPdf's last week, and flatiron did a great job. well the stability of the network rendering und 3dsmax 2013 is perfect.. i wonder why 2012 crashes like crazy all the time when u try to click something in flatiron ,after enabling the network-rendering-button
vistral

Postby mitviz » 23 Apr 2017 08:00

ok, testing flatiron, it seems to make the images too brigh and shadows are dark at the same time, i found that outputing hdri images seems to work best but what is the correct workflow with vray and gamma? do i leave max defaults at 2.2 for all and with vray the same? turn of the vray frame buffer and just set files to save as normal? not sure what is the correct workflow with gamma really. any help there would be appreciated, will test the new version later but few of us are here evaluating this to see how useful it might be in the future
mitviz

Return to Flatiron