Woohoo! My first post!. :D

So first and foremost:
3DS Max 2016
Vray 3.30.03
VRay Materials.
Also I am using Real World Scale and Non Real world scale

Assets and Jpegs for this discussion can be found here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/igraflg6pp4g ... p7CSa?dl=0

So here is my quandary. I have a wood surround that is using real world scale ( btw I also have the same issue when its not real world scale ). Every time I unwrap and bake a texture with Flatiron, Flatiron is not properly unwrapping and baking the texture map.

At this point I am sure it is user error but I can't quite figure out what I am doing incorrectly.

Image 1: shows my model texture before unwrap
image 2: Effectively Shows a basic UVW unwrap.
Image 3: is the tillable texture being used
Image 4: Material real world scale settings
image 5: Flatiron Unwrap
image 6: Unwrapped PNG

As you can see the geometry unwrap for max is totally different from flatiron. All the elements are orthogonal. I know, no big deal, if it unwraps correctly the position technically doesn't matter. The resulting baked PNG that is created though is really blurry and smeared. After looking into it more, Flatiron is essentially taking all the unwrap elements and scaling them to fit within the original texture size. So figuring that perhaps it was a Real World Scale issue I went ahead and adjusted the texture to not have real world scale.

image 7: Now using a Non real world scale settings
Image 8: Flatiron Unwrapped and baked without real world scale

So the results are improved, sort of. The wood mapping is totally incorrect. The wood grain at top of the surround is at a diagonal, and the grain on the side of the surround, should be parallel to the floor not orthogonal, and still the scale is still off. The size of the texture is way too big.

I am not really sure what is going on here, but if someone has any insight into this I would truly appreciate it.

8.No RWS FlatIron_Unwrap.JPG
8.No RWS FlatIron_Unwrap.JPG (428.77 KiB) Viewed 2319 times

Re: VRay:UVW Mapping is scaling textures? Unwrapping is stra

Postby Igor Posavec » 04 Jul 2016 13:24

Hello Jared

i have answered you in the mail.
As far as we have tested it, everything works perfect. Maybe you have forgotten to set the target channel for unwrapping to 2,3,4 or some other number in order no to overwrite your UV Channel 1 coordinates.

best regards
igor posavec
CEO, 3d-io games & video production GmbH
Igor Posavec
3d-io staff member

Return to Flatiron